Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 31: Riley


Four months ago I had a wake up call.
It was like someone threw ice-water on me to shake me from my haze.

It’s amazing how a phone call can change your life.
It’s amazing how we never realize the role others have played in our lives until they are gone.

Riley was a good friend. At one point in my high school career, I considered him one of my best friends. He was like a big brother to me; he called me out on my crap, annoyed me daily, but in the end was always in my corner. He was my sarcastic partner in crime for goofing off in back of the advanced classes and roaming about the school when we were supposed to be in fashion or student council.
But then he graduated, and we both dated people in different crowds, so we drifted apart. There wasn't a falling out, or a defining moment that ended out friendship, we just simply grew apart. I would still see him at parties or around town and we would say hi and chat, but our lives didn't overlap anymore. Then I moved away.  
It’s the same story you've heard a thousand times.
I hadn't talked to Riley, really talked, in probably four years.

It’s hard every day to know I wasn't there for him when he needed it. He was a good friend during some rough times in my life. I never returned the favor.
I never realized the impact he had on me as a person until I couldn't call him up to say thank you. Until I couldn't bridge the gap between us and reconnect with my old friend.  
I wouldn't be the person I am if he hadn't touched my life, even though it was years ago.

He was smart and sarcastic. He was stubborn and childish. He could make you laugh or drive you crazy in a matter of seconds. The Riley I remember was happy.
He was a good person. He simply lost his way, and chose to wander alone. And somewhere along the way, he forgot which way was up.
I wish I could have been there.

In a roundabout way he reminded me to do what he couldn't, or wouldn't; to live.
He reminded me to tell people I love them. To appreciate life. To wake up every day and remember why it’s all worth it. He also reminded me to let people in, and let them help.

Here is a short clip of the boy I choose to remember, the boy I choose to emulate. The one that was a good friend, and a great person.

This one is for you Ry. I’m thankful for your life, and all the ways you have helped me, and all the lives you touched. I’ll miss you for the rest of my life.
We all will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment