Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 36: thunder cake


"Grandma looked at the horizon, drew a deep breath and said, ‘This is Thunder Cake weather, all right. Looks like a storm is coming.’"


Today we had our first real rainstorm in months. Seeing the dark clouds and hearing the wind and the rain against the window reminded me of when I was a kid during monsoon season in Arizona.

 For those of you who haven’t ever experienced Arizona’s monsoon season, put it on your bucket list. Every single afternoon during the end of summer the dark stormy clouds roll in and the thunder starts rumbling, rain starts pouring, the winds are howling, and lightening lights up the sky every few minutes. It’s very dramatic.
It was one of my favorite things about my hometown.

When I was a kid there was this book I had called Thunder Cake. The book was about a grandma helping her grandchild overcome her fear of thunderstorms by gathering ingredients and baking a “thunder Cake” every time the storm rolled in.

I loved this book. I remember always begging my mom to read it and make Thunder Cake with me. I thought it was great not only because we were baking, but the cake also called for tomatoes which I thought was the weirdest thing. But it was so good, and it made thunderstorms that much better. 
I loved having that special thing I did with my mom.

Now every time I see those clouds rolling in, it takes me back to those days in our kitchen baking with my mom to the sounds of thunder, wind, and rain. Every time it makes me smile.  

I am thankful for my childhood.  

I am thankful for thunder cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment