Sunday, March 31, 2013

Day 47: final hour


47 days. Seems like a long time, right? I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

I read somewhere that a treatment psychologists use for patients with depression is having them write down three things they are thankful for every day for 21 days. After 21 days noticing the positive should become a habit. That is how long it is thought to change an attitude, change a behavior, change yourself.

Did I change? I hope so. I would like to think that after this I will see the blessings more clearly, that I will say thank you and I love you more often, that I will forgive a little quicker, and laugh louder.

While I was contemplating on the point of this whole experiment, I looked back over my posts. I saw a trend, very few of my posts were about physical items. I live in a first world country so I have a million things surrounding me, but those aren't the things that make an impact on me. These aren't the things I am thankful for.
I’m thankful for things like family and friends, sunshine and chivalry. I am thankful for kind words and people that make me smile. These are things that can’t be bought or sold. I think that’s the point. 

Happiness can’t be bought or sold. Therefore, anyone can have it if they choose it. Honestly, most everyone already has it, they just haven't opened their eyes to see it.  
The things that make me happy have nothing to do with money or power. They have everything to do with the people I am surrounded by.

 So, thank you all for reading my daily ramblings. Whether it made an impact on you or not, I at least hope it made you smile.

Open your eyes. Be thankful. Thankful for your life, and for those around you. And don’t forget to say it, let them know how much they matter. 
Happy Easter everyone. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment